Sunday, January 31, 2010

Child's Play

Lately, friday evening has become Xbox game night which means Madden NFL 10. Arjun was engrossed in a Saints Vs Redskins game and Abhi was getting antsy for his turn. In a bid to distract him, I suggested that he do his pretend game - this is something he is always doing: simulate the snap and then pretend to be the QB who throws an imaginary ball and after the throw is done, switch to being the receiver, who more often than not fails to make the catch. There is much rolling, tackling, and quite a few injuries, all accompanied by play-by-play narration. Each play is of course followed by a slow motion replay of what happened with added expert commentary.

Abhi quickly brightened upon my suggestion and right away went into the stance ready to snap the ball. In the Xbox game, you are given three or four choices for the play to run along with the button ('A', 'X', 'Y', etc) to press for the particular play. In a bid to make things a bit more interesting for Abhi, I pretended that I had a xbox remote in my hand and announced that I was pressing 'A.' He immediately liked this new variation and started insisting that I "press" a button before each snap. We did this a couple of times and both times the (pretend) receiver failed to hold on to the (pretend) ball. On the third occasion, the receiver apparently held on to the ball and proceeded to score a touchdown. I thought some celebration was indicated and enthusiastically beckoned Abhi to come for a high-five. All I got in response was a frown. I once again called, "Abhi, come, high-five - you scored a touchdown." Another frown and then in an exasperated tone, "Achaaaa, I am in the TV!"

You see, what I had failed to grasp was that this was not your run of the mill pretend NFL game - on the contrary this was a pretend version of a pretend game (Madden NFL 10), which any 3 year old will tell you, happens "inside the TV" and you certainly cannot high-five those players.

No comments:

2024 March Primaries - San Diego Edition

First, the good news:  the 2024 March primaries do not feature a Prop related to dialysis clinics.  This can't last of course, but let&...