Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dream Layers

I swear I am not making this up. I don't have dreams that often (or at least ones that I can recall the next morning), but lately I have been having a few that seem to involve playing baseball, but with a random set of rules. And apparently this is after I had joined the army. As if this wasn't strange enough, last night really upped the ante.
It started off with the usual baseball-with-strange-rules (this is not that unexpected since the boys and I play a mini baseball game indoors on a regular basis). Then I am driving away from the game and the boys are with me and suddenly I realize that we had left Malini behind. So I whip the car around real fast and end up climbing the curb. As I speed away, I think I hit somebody. I stop and come back, but in the gathering dark, there is nobody to be seen. I am rather shaken as I make my way back to the field only to see Malini waiting, totally relaxed - like I had never left. And the boys are with her. I turn around and sure enough, the boys are not in the car. I realize with a start that the whole driving away had only been a dream. Malini and the boys climb in and we start driving away and all of sudden I don't recognize where I am - somewhere on the east coast, maybe? Oh no, this had been another dream! I am immediately aware that I have just experienced a dream-within-a-dream and start describing this to Malini and realize that she is no longer there. I feel a sense of discomfort (wanted to pee, no doubt) and open my eyes and now I am finally in familiar environs - in our bedroom with Malini curled up next to me. And it dawns on me that I had just experienced a third layer of dreaming. Fortunately that was the end - I fell back into a deep sleep and had almost forgotten about this until just now. What was striking was the strong feeling that I was popping up a 'level' each time I realized that I was in a dream. Maybe there is something to this Inception business? Or maybe, somebody wants me to believe in the premise of the movie and is trying to plant the idea in my head....?

2 comments:

lathak said...

oops, i succeeded !! and you found out..

Yad_CPLD_Atmel said...

A Dream within a Dream -Wow

Sometimes you are in a Dream and you want it to continue.. this typically happens in the early hours of the morn.....Its like you want to know what the next scene will look like in your dream , yet another part of your conscience will try and influence the contents of the upcoming scene in your dream............Sounds familiar or ...........

2024 March Primaries - San Diego Edition

First, the good news:  the 2024 March primaries do not feature a Prop related to dialysis clinics.  This can't last of course, but let&...