Thursday, March 12, 2009

From the Mouth of Babes....

Being surprised at the level of maturity displayed by today's kids is nothing new, but the following two examples are still somewhat startling.

Couple of nights ago, I am loading the dishwasher after dinner when Abhi comes by campaigning to play some game. (Arjun is totally engrossed in a coloring project - as he has been ever since getting a new set of sketch pens and stencils.) After I found that I was not able to distract him, I said, "Just wait for some time. I'll finish loading and then play with you." He gives me a frustrated look, clamps his palms over his eyes and with a foot stomp proclaims, "This does not work for me!" Apparently he learned this from his big brother. Figures.

Last evening I was shopping in Target for a specific toy requested by Arjun for his birthday - a "Draganoid" Bakugan.
I was having no luck scanning the shelves full of various Bakugan offerings. I was about to give up when a kid walks up and starts examining the toys with a knowing air. Turns out he is heavily into Bakugan and starts educating me (apparently the Drago characters have 'evolved' - into what, I have no clue) and points out the different characters. He is trying to give me some of the back story, but is clearly getting impatient at this old geezer who is just not catching on. At one point he shows me a multi-pack and suggests that I could get that. I ask (with perhaps unnecessary naivette), "Why, is it better to get this multi-pack?" And the kid, who is no more than 7 years old, pauses, looks up at me and in all seriousness replies, "Only if you want your child to have more of them." I swear, those were his exact words.

No comments:

2024 March Primaries - San Diego Edition

First, the good news:  the 2024 March primaries do not feature a Prop related to dialysis clinics.  This can't last of course, but let&...