Monday, June 4, 2012

Matter of Fact

Abhi is six, but still a pretty small guy. We have been trying to get him to eat better in the hope that it will aid his growth rate. One recent evening he wanted me to carry him upstairs to get ready for bed. I relented and as I went up the stairs, I remarked, "It's a good thing you are so small Abhi - I think I will be able to carry you your entire life." The sarcasm was of course completely lost on him. He took me at face value and asked,
"Really? Even when I am really old?"
Me: "Yes, even when you are really old." Wondering to myself what "really old" was to a six year old. I got my answer right away:
Abhi: "Even when I am 15?"
Me (wincing at the thought of 15 being "really old"): "Yes, even when you are 15."
Abhi ups the ante: "Even when I am 100?"
I hesitated to answer given the odds of me carrying anything when he is 100. But I sort of murmur a yes.  But Abhi is not listening. The coin has dropped and he realizes that all may not be well:
"But what will you be when I am 100?" While I hesistate again, he does the math in his head and exclaims:
"You will be dead!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny what kids think about!

2024 March Primaries - San Diego Edition

First, the good news:  the 2024 March primaries do not feature a Prop related to dialysis clinics.  This can't last of course, but let&...